1873-1932 James Edward Hervey MacDonald, born at Durham (England) of Canadian parents. Came to Hamilton, Ontario, in 1887. Studied at the Hamilton, Ontario, in 1887. Studied at the Hamilton Art School (1890), then for a short time at the Central Ontario
School of Art, Toronto, under Willim Cruikshank and G.A. Reid. Worked as a graphic designer for Grip, Ltd. in Toronto from about 1895 and at the Carlton Studio, London, 1904-1907. Returned to Toronto and rejoined Grip Ltd. and began to paint landscape
near Toronto. Made his first trip to Northern Ontario in 1909 and Georgian Bay in 1910. In 1911 her left Grip and became a full-time painter. Moved to Thornhill, Ontario, in 1912. In 1913, with Lawren Harris, he saw an exhibition of Scandinavian painting
in Buffalo. Sketching trip to Algoma with Harris and others in 1918. Original member of the Group of Seven, 1920. Taught at the Ontario College of Art from 1921; principal, 1929-1932. A.R.C.A. in 1912, R.C.A. in 1931. Painted in northern Ontario, on the
Atlantic coast (1922), in the Rocky Mountains (1924), and the West Indies. Carried out several murals. Also a poet. Died in Toronto. Founding member of the C.G.P., 1933.